Lack of sleep can cause various problems and hinder our everyday lives. Issues caused by lack of sleep can include; a lack of motivation, reduced ability to cope with stress, increased frustration and moodiness, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment and a lowered immune system, making you more prone to illness.
Many studies have shown that acupuncture treatments can help maintain the balance of biological chemicals in the central nervous system and promote the recovery of homeostasis.
10 easy tips for improving sleep
1. Try engaging in a bedtime routine to let your body know its time for sleep.
2. Keep your room at a moderate temperature as excessive heat can disturb sleep
3. Exercise can help to deepen sleep, however it should not be done too close to bedtime.
4. If you smoke then be aware that tobacco can affect sleep, try not to smoke for at least an hour before bedtime.
5. Try to make time earlier in the evening to work through any thoughts about your day, or any plans for the next day – do not take your problems to bed.
6. Get up at the same time every morning – this helps to regulate your body clock.
7. Try to avoid drinks that include caffeine, such as coffee and alcohol in the evenings, these act as stimulants.
8. If you do not fall asleep quickly, then do not lie in bed becoming increasingly frustrated. Get up and do something else until you feel sleepy, e.g. reading a book, listening to relaxing music.
9. If you are a ‘clock watcher’ like myself then try moving your clock to a place where you are less likely to be checking it every few minutes.
10. Only use the bedroom for sleeping – watching TV, using a computer or eating in the bedroom for example can all lead to sleep disturbance.
In conclusion, by optimizing the production and metabolism of chemicals that affect sleep and balancing our nervous systems, acupuncture can maintain the appropriate sleep pattern and duration.