The term massage therapy is used when talking about health and healing practices that involve touch and movement. It is a profession in which the therapist applies some manual techniques, and may apply at adjunctive therapies. Massage is known to increase the circulation of blood and flow of lymph.
There are a variety of massage techniques that are used to help with the following:
1. Improve blood flow
2. Reduce tension and pain
3. Relax muscles and provide a sense of well-being and relaxation
Things To Do:
1) Everyone should make sure their therapist is licensed or certified.
2) Make sure to drink water before and after a massage. This helps the body remove toxins that have been stirred up.
3) Make sure you eat a good balanced diet.
4) Follow any suggestions your therapist might have about stretching and exercising for any specific conditions.
5) For fresh muscle sprains or strains it is generally recommended to put ice on the area during the first day or two in order to help keep swelling down.
6) Be sure to schedule regular massages with your Massage Therapist.
Massage therapy is really a hands-on manipulation of soft tissues and joints of the body. The soft tissues include:
3. Associated fascia
6. Joint capsules
If you suffer from certain circulatory ailments, certain forms of cancer, infectious diseases, certain skin conditions, cardiac problems, or any inflamed or infected tissues, be sure to consult your physician before initiating any massage program.