Ear infections are one of the health problems that can be addressed by chiropractic care. Otitis Media, for one, a common ear infection among children, can be treated by chiropractors specializing in the pediatrics field. The misalignment of the top two vertebrae in the spine is usually the root of the problem. This condition of the spine for children and infants may have occurred from birth. The doctor can easily detect this condition in anyone, and the corrective measure is very simple and painless.
The good news is that parents may spare their children the agony of ear infections by following the seven simple steps outlined below.
1. Consider Chiropractic Care: Chiropractors over the last 50 years have known that by use of adjustments to the neck and spine, they can treat and eliminate a majority of ear infections if given the opportunity. Chiropractic care focuses on diagnosing improper alignments of the spine and correcting them by adjustments made to certain parts of the back. To children, a chiropractor only need apply slight pressure to the spine, in order to provide them with normal functioning of their nerves and joints. Unlike some Doctors, Chiropractors seek out the main cause of the health problem rather than just treating the symptoms with medication.
2. BreastFeed Your child: Studies show that breastfeeding bolsters an infant’s immune system, in turn preventing ear infection. Six-month old infants who were fed exclusively by breastfeeding were half as likely to experience a first episode of ear infection, compared with formula-fed babies.
3. Avoid Unnecessary Antibiotics: What’s wrong with antibiotics for ear infection? During infection, parents should not give unnecessary antibiotics to their children.
4. Stay Smoke-Free: Children who are exposed to cigarette smoke develop more ear infections than children who grow up in smoke-free environments. (Pediatric Dentistry 1998;20:327-30) So, if you smoke, quit – or, at the very least, make sure to smoke outside and far away from your child. In addition, avoid bringing your little one into smoke-filled homes or restaurants.
5. Limit Dairy Intake: Studies suggest that a diet rich in dairy products – such as cow’s milk, cheese and ice cream – boosts a child’s odds of ear infection. That’s why many doctors of chiropractic advise parents of ear infection-prone children to substitute dairy items such as soy milk, tofu, and tempeh.
If you are a parent with children who suffer from chronic ear infections, call us now and make an appointment for a consultation. We can help get your children out of pain and on a path to success in life, school and sports. Don’t spend another sleepless night pacing the halls with a screaming toddler in your arms. You should not wait, and don’t need to wait, until another ear infection starts. Preventive care is a better option. Also, we’d like to answer all your questions, give you the facts and relieve your anxiety at a time when your child is not in pain. Of course, if your child needs immediate care, we want to see both of you as soon as possible. But make sure you get them to some kind of doctor to help them get well.