Elbow pain can be the result of any disruption of the joint or the structures that surround it. Elbow pain is a common complaint to many people, although many do not realize the cause of the pain. Diseases like rheumatoid arthritis that cause pain throughout the body may also affect the elbow joint.
If you have to use the computer keyboard for a prolonged period, it is better to rest your elbows on a soft sponge like surface at your workplace. This will reduce the chances of the pain.
Most common causes of elbow pains:
Injuries: Some injuries can cause stress fracture or muscle strain, leading to elbow pain.
Sprains and strains: These can damage the elbow or area around it, which your body alerts you about with the feeling of pain.
Infected elbows: Infection can also be the cause of your aching elbow.
Overuse: Overusing your elbow can be a reason why it’s aching.
Elbow Pain Treatments
Some treatments involve limitation of activity, bracing the elbow to limit motion, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and physical therapy. If these interventions are not successful, then injections of glucocorticoid may improve the short-term problem .
1. Rest: This may be the simplest but this is the most effective among conventional treatments for it promotes healing of the tendons.
2. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID). For the mild to moderate cases of elbow pain, the use of aspirin or ibuprofen will help reduce the inflammation.
3. Keep your elbow higher than your heart: By doing this, you can make the recovery process faster.
4. Exercise Regularly: You have to exercise your arms regularly, even if it is just light exercises. Too much immobilization can cause the area to go stiff. It will also help with increasing the flexibility of your arm and strengthening it.
5. Physiotherapy or physical therapy. Doing some simple stretching and exercises not just relief the pain, but it really cures the injury. When you perform stretching to improve the flexibility of your wrist and arm and perform strengthening exercises to strengthen your muscles, you do the best preventive measure against elbow pain.