If your mom was anything like mine, I’m sure you have the good old “stop slouching” or “sit up straight”. It drove me nuts when she would say this. Turns out…mom was right and here is why.
- Keeps bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly.
- Helps decrease the abnormal wearing of joint surfaces.
- Decreases the stress on the ligaments holding the joints of the spine together.
- Prevents the spine from becoming fixed in abnormal positions.
- Prevents fatigue because muscles are being used more efficiently, allowing the body to use less energy.
- Prevents backache and muscular pain.
- Contributes to a good appearance.
To Achieve Good Posture You Will Require The Following:
- Good muscle flexibility
- Normal motion in the joints
- Strong postural muscles
- A balance of muscles on both sides of the spine
- Awareness of your own posture, plus awareness of proper posture which leads to conscious correction.
With practise, the correct posture for standing, sitting, and lying down (as described below) will gradually replace your old posture.
Here Are Some Tips To Help You Improve Your Posture
Take a break from sitting
Keep your shoulders back and try to relax
Slightly bend your knees to ease the pressure off your hips
Keep your head straight, not up or down
Lift from your knees
When sleeping, use a mattress use a mattress that has a firm support
Come into SpineWise Bowmanville to meet with our top Chiropractors, Laser Therapist and Registered Massage Therapists. Call us at 905-623-8388