The joints in our body are designed for providing flexibility in our musculoskeletal structure. It is not normal for movements of joints to cause pain. However, for some joints that are continuously used such as the hands and wrist, the problems associated with pain is more common than you may imagine. In addition to everyday wear and tear, exposure to trauma and injuries can also conjure pain in the hand. As a consequence of the condition, the hands, or wrists may cause burning sensation, sting, or hurt, feel tired, sore, stiff or numb. There can be impairment of movement as well as swelling along joints.
It is not unusual for the hand to turn red, pale, or blue or to develop a lump on your wrist, palm, or fingers. Home treatment is sufficient for most cases to put the pain and all related systems to rest.
Causes of Hand Pain
Finger, hand, or wrist problems may be caused by a plethora of reasons relating to regular wear and tear, underlying diseases or some injury. Some of the principle causes are enumerated below:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome which causes pressure on the median nervein the wrist resulting in numbness, weakness, or pain of the fingers and hand.
- Tendon pain due to micro-tears in the tissue in or around the tendon.
- De Quervain’s disease where the tendons and the tendon covering sheath on the thumb side of the wrist develop swelling and inflammation.
- Repetitive motion of the hands.
- Writer’s cramps due to prolonged typing or writing.
- Dupuytren’s disease causing an unusual thickening of tissue beneath the skin in the palm of the hand.
- Tingling or pain in the fingers or hand can be signs of a heart attack.
- Pregnancy can cause redness, itching, swelling or numbness.
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis may cause stiffness and pain in the hands
- Gout is an inflammatory joint disease that causes acute pain and swelling. It is a form of arthritis that develops when uric acid crystals form in and around the joints, commonly affecting the big toe joint.
- Infection causes pain, redness, and swelling.
- Broken wrist bone, bone dislocation and unnatural bone growth or bone spurs.
The initial stages of irritation and hand pain are easily treated at home with very simple techniques. Some of the cautionary measures that can be adopted are-
- Removingrings, bracelets, watches, etc. from the affected hand.
- Rest and ice-packs are very effective for pain and swelling.
- Avoiding and protecting hands from cold.
- Avoid sleeping or leaning on the hands, which decreases blood-circulation to the fingers.
- Take breaks in between prolonged work involving the hands.
In addition that, stretching and rolling exercises of the wrist when the pain subsides and abstaining from heavy-lifting works wonders to curb most wrist and hand pain.
Scientific Chiropractic Care for Hand and Wrist Pain
Some of the most common techniques for treatment of hand and wrist pain arewith the use of the pain-killers and NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen. But these drugs are derogatory for the overall and long-term welfare of the patient, to say the least. They can trigger allergic reaction in the patient or cause complications in pregnancies. Some drugs cause malfunctions or even failure of liver, kidneys, etc. Chiropractic therapy is considered as the best for hand and wrist pain. It is both non-invasive and free from side-effects that arise from taking prescription drugs. Chiropractic Treatment and massage therapy is the traditional approach. It helps in enhancing blood circulation along the hand, promotes an increase in oxygen rich blood supply, ensures better passage of nutrients and heals the inflammation quicker.
To aid even quicker and targeted cure, the innovative inclusion of the ProAdjuster has been facilitated by the practitioners at Spinewise. The ProAdjuster is a remarkable machine that does away with the typical massage therapy involving twisting and stretching which could be painful. The ProAdjuster utilizes its fully computerized and programmed module to correctly identify the area of inflammation, smartly measures the response of each muscle at the wrist-joint to determine the injured one and then, with its controlled impulses, the practitioner can treat the joint for the misalignments and address the pain.
Some simple preventive measure can be more effectiverather than looking for the cure in case the troublesome hand and wrist pains. Taking regular breaks in-between prolonged desk-jobs, keeping proper posture while sitting, avoiding heavy-lifting or stressing out the fore-arms, using keyboards properly, etc. are some things that, if kept in mind can save a lot of trouble by preventing the development of intense pain. However, in case of complicated conditions, Chiropractics provides side-effect free treatment unlike conventional prescription drugs. Chiropractics implements manipulative treatments ranging from Spinal adjustments to strength exercises in order to address hand and wrist pain. At Spinewise, we use both traditional as well as modern approach to cure all ailments and help you lead a pain-free life.